Monday, July 13, 2009

I give unto (wo)men weaknesses...

Last month I was called to work in the primary. Since then I have been humbled. Not in the sense that I now realize how difficult it is to keep children calm and quiet while I try to teach them about Jesus (although that too), but rather it seems that they have the ability to spot weaknesses and call me out on them.

This week I was doing sharing time, and writing on the board ways we can learn from the scriptures. I know I have bad handwriting, but they're children, they don't care right? Well... as I start writing, one of the kids calls out, "why don't you just write it in cursive?" I had to admit to the entire primary, "well, because my cursive is actually not very good..."

I also am not an ambi-winker, I can only wink with my left eye. This was actually a big problem when I was a cheerleader in highschool... anyway, A few weeks ago I had a sunbeam sitting next to me and out of the blue she turned to me and asked, "can you wink?" I said yes and showed her. Then she said, "can you wink with the other side?" and I had to admit I couldn't. Then she clapped her hand over her other eye and sadly said, "I can't either." I'm ashamed to admit I felt better about myself when I found that out.

Another weakness... I'm not a very good gymnast (you're dying to know where this is going aren't you?). This week in sharing time we were doing skits. One group was in front of the primary doing their skit about the Army of Helaman. One of the Stripling warriors (a sunbeam) turned to the front and said, "I can do a summersault" and he bent over and did one. Then he stood up and got back in the group. I think the funniest part was that none of the children (either watching or participating) reacted in the least. I guess this one represents a weakness I'm gradually getting better at, not being surprised when these kids do totally weird things.


3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I love that it didn't even phase the other kids-what better time to show off your summersault skills?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a kid ask me last week: why do you have hair on your arms? Primary is the BEST...sorta

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable... I LOVE Primary. My best Primary story is one time when we lived in Idaho, it was the first week of the new year. The Primary Pres. was talking about things changing throughout a year, blah blah blah, and she pointed out things that had changed with some of the kids (baptism, new baby sister, new house, going to school, etc.) and she asked, "What has changed about me this year?"

    A five year old: "I think you got fatter?"

    :)
    Love your background, by the way, glad I discovered your blog! I'll have to "follow" :)

    ReplyDelete