Saturday, January 2, 2010

A glimpse into the future

Today Cam and I were accosted by the most ridiculous child I have ever met in my life.

We were on a date at Barnes&Noble, sitting and reading books, and a small girl with wispy brown hair and pink stretchpants, came and wriggled her way in next to me. I asked if she needed some room, and she said, "No, I just need to read you this book... and him too" gesturing to Cam. We decided to oblige her, just as she decided that she actually had to go get a different book. As she walked away we tried to talk to each other, but she kept coming back and demanding "shhh! Lock your lips! I can hear you!"

She eventually came back with a book, and read the first page, but she must have decided it wasn't exciting enough because then she made up a story about a cave and a rock who met a dragon. Pretty much in the middle of the story she turned to me and said "knock knock" as she knocked on my leg. "Who's there?" Thus started a chain reaction of nonsensical "jokes" in which some random thing (i.e. Mr. Potato Head, Name, "Abercot") was knocking on my door and the response to my inquiry "____ who?" was some random phrase, word, or dance. During this routine, Cam and I tried to figure out the name and possible location of a parent with no success. We think her name is Sadie or Sara, and she is either 6 or turning 7 1/2 in March.

Suddenly she jumped up and announced "we're going to make a train" and grabbed my hands and started dragging me around. She demanded that Cameron get on the train at the next station, but Cam (the rational person he is) asked where the train was going. When her response was "around" he decided to wait for the next train.

In the end I only managed to escape the train because Cam said it was "time to go" luckily, when she asked what time it was, it was a nice-round 9:30 and we could make our escape.

This is Cam's drawing, representation of his feelings of the event.
I told Cam, that what we were seeing was a glimpse into the future... Kim's randomness+ Cam's endless store of energy = a ridiculous ball of nonstop A.D.D.ness. He says that's not possible because any child of his will have learned prudence. You are all welcome to quote him on that later.

2 comments:

  1. That is one of the funniest stories I've ever heard!!! I love it. And the picture is priceless :) You two are going to make wonderful parents someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you quoted him!! Now, go have a kid so I can start badgering him :)

    ReplyDelete