Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Parallel Parking

Did you know that it's possible for a person to get a driver's license without knowing how to parallel park? In fact, you can fail both parallel parking and backing around a corner and as long as you do everything else right, you're good to go. Sad but true.

The unfortunate thing is that while these failures may get by most of the time, the one time that it is actually required of them, they may have a situation similar to mine only yesterday...

I had a job interview in downtown Portland at 3pm. I headed over there about 1:30, just to make sure I was prepared so that any and all possible things could go wrong and I would still be on time.

I got to the building at about 1:45 and realized the most horrific thing... no parking lot. I spent the next 5 minutes circling every building within a three block radius looking for a lot, but to no avail. What I did find was one slightly oversized parallel parking spot... great. While I do know that the proper way to use these spots is to pull forward and then back in, I can never remember how that works, so I tried to go head first (then back up, then go forward etc.) but after trying that strategy twice, I decided to circle the block again.

Several blocks away I found an empty row of one hour parking where I decided to pull over for awhile, and hope that the street parking landscape would change in 15 minutes. It didn't. I called Cam to try to talk me through parallel parking on the phone, but he didn't answer.

Finally, I found a slightly larger open spot. This time I was able to nose in (then back up, then forward, then back, then straighten out) and may or may not have been close enough to the curb, but I didn't stick out as much as the utility van in front of me, so I felt good about it.

I got my things together, read over some notes, and walked into my interview 10 minutes early. Success!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the parking and the interview! How did it go? Who was it with? (Did your W&K joke become real?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No- I did apply to W&K and the sent me an email that essentially said, "don't call us, we'll call you"

    No my interview was with The Scene Marketing Group they do marketing, PR and events... and I think it went well... I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete