Saturday, January 15, 2011

Blog Anonymity

Can I be upset for a moment?

Now, I know many of you make your blogs private, so you know exactly who is coming to your blog. Mine isn’t because I like stumbling upon new blogs, and I think it's only fair I allow others the same option. So instead of making it private, I keep an eye on my analytics. I watch for odd things and check who is linking to by blog. Well, this week I had an unsual number of visits from London. One of them I checked the source on, and found this in a post about her English class this week:

 “We are learning about the features of diaries and blogs at the moment, and today’s first lesson was mainly spent being slightly harsh and sarcastic about Cameron and Kim [with a link]. They seem like lovely people really but… just look at the header. Just look at it.”

Ouch. 

I haven’t decided what I feel like doing yet. I do hope that people in that class might wander back here, see this, and learn a thing or two about the fact that people on the web still have feelings.


*Update: read the comments to see how this worked itself out.

8 comments:

  1. Kim, I am sincerely very sorry about the way I said that. It was wrong and careless and stupid of me, and I don't know if you'll see it on my own blog but I posted a short message to you. I really am sorry but please can you delete mine and my teacher's name on this post? It's selfish of me to ask I know and I feel awful for what I did. Please could you protect my anonymity as I didn't yours? I promise I have learnt my lesson and I'm so sorry. Please believe me. You don't have to forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do forgive you and I'll take them both off (and you can remove your note to me if you like) - I shouldn't have lashed out like that. We all say things that we regret sometimes.

    I guess this is one of those things we both chose do deal with by sharing our lives with other people online. I hope you don't stop sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, you are lovely and I don't deserve it. I will continue to share but I promise you I will think about what exactly I do share. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, You are awesome and handled the situation very well. Anyone else on the internet would have been out for blood. Just for everyone else in the world, This blog is great so they can go back to their own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also leave mine open for views and managed to stumble upon yours. I am very impressed with how you handled the situation, I don't think I would have been as classy. The response and apology you received alone shows how well you handled it. I look forward to browsing through some of your older posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW. That's insanity... judging people by their header... ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this fascinating encounter with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently people in London don't play Candyland, or else they wouldn't be so derogatory about your header. I've also been curious how you're going to make your background more Forest Grove-esque, I mean you had Y mountain in Provo and skyscrapers in New York. I was thinking maybe a barbershop pole?

    ReplyDelete