- To deter some of our heat from escaping through all of our single-paned windows.
- To contain some of the mold that we suffered from all fall. Even wiping it down with bleach frequently wasn't enough to keep it from growing in our window wells since it is so freakin' wet out here, and single-pane windows only serve as a nice place for water to condense.
This is our bedroom window:
Yes, that is mold growing right on the varnished wood. You can see we still get some water condensing on the plastic, although not nearly as bad as the window.
From a scientific perspective, we've got some pretty interesting things going on in here:
- a blue fuzzy mold growing on the wood
- a nice black mold growing on the metal railing
- some yellow something growing right on the glass in large circles
- a gray stringy mold growing in the window screen as if it were a lattice
- a specimen of some sort actually putting down roots in the far corner of the window well
- a bug. That's right. He must have been either in some sort of larvae stage on the inside of the window when we walled it off, or has since somehow gotten in from the outside. Either that or we have such a fertile ecosystem in there that we are watching evolution happen before our eyes. I wouldn't be surprised.