Sunday, May 22, 2011

Deliberately Bad Paint Job

I've been in the market for a bedside table since I left mine behind in the move last spring. For the last 9 months I've been using my parent's old end table which is shorter than my bed (which, granted, is unusually tall), and makes it impossible to see my alarm clock. It's been quite the hunt to find the perfect bedside table, but last month at Goodwill, I finally found it.
Can you believe they only wanted 4$ for this beauty? Granted, this is what it looked like after I had Cam strip the nasty stain off (I couldn't do it, the paint stripper is known to cause birth defects and cancer in the state of California).  

I was having a hard time deciding how to paint it. Finally I decided to make it match a cute wall hanging that my sister-in-law gave us for our wedding that looks like it's been antiqued, which is quite trendy you know. So I decided to paint the drawer that way. 
But once I had roughed up the drawer a bit, the rest of the table just looked too modern, so I went back and roughed up my paint job at the corners and added some scuffs. On all the how-to websites I found, they said to beat up the piece with a chain, drill in some holes and chip at the corners, but luckily this table came pre-beaten. One website had lengthy instructions on creating a faux coffee stain... which seemed a bit overkill.
When Cam came home, the first thing he said was, "did you mean for this..." and pointed to the spots that I had scratched the paint off. When I said yes, he replied, "good, it looks great then!" Just wait until I get some good juice stains on there.


Oh- and if you haven't done it yet, you have just a couple more days to participate in my birthday research before I post the results. So if you have a birthday or have had a birthday in the past, you should take 30 seconds to take the survey.

1 comment: