Saturday, June 4, 2011

Another baby project

I know, I know, you're all getting tired of reading about my craft projects and you wish I would go back to talking about some interesting adventure or another. But at 8+ months preggo, our nuttiest adventure in the last week was going to the car seat clinic hosted by the fire department. 
Important? Yes. 
Educational and enlightening? Yes
Thrilling enough to warrant sharing? Not exactly.

So back to my project. 
On Wed I was going through my list of all baby stuff we need and realizing that we are pretty much there except for some odds and ends and the fact that we only have about two toys for the poor kid. So I was looking online, and apparently the cool thing these days are the baby "activity gyms" (and we're all about building healthy habits for life over here).

After looking at about a zillion of them online, I decided as I usually do that I could totally make one myself. I did... and it's got some quarks, but I think for the most part it's infant safe and all that:
I assigned Cam the gym part, which he built with PVC pipe. It took me longer than it should have because I wanted it to be able to come apart and go through the wash, so the pole covers are attached to the mat with buttons underneath. I also made the little loops on top with snaps, so that if he doesn't like the toys I made, we can at least put up something that he is interested in... like socks or cardboard or whatever.

But really, how could he not like this guy?
He's so happy and cuddly you just want to die! I figure, at very least if our baby doesn't like it, then I have a new toy (and I could probably use the gym too at this point). 

8 comments:

  1. I love it! I never would have thought to make my own baby gym. You're so crafty.

    By the way, don't feel bad about not having very many toys for him. Joylyn didn't have a single toy, besides stuffed animals that people had given me when she was born, until she was 1 year old. She just played with my tupperware, and the remotes, and stuff... And she turned out alright :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright being the key word....;) just kidding Tiff I love your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I had never ever, ever thought of making my own! Wow, Kim and Cam...I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone gave me my baby gym. And when I saw that they are like $80+ bucks I thought that it would be fun to make one. And make you did! It turned out way cute, I can't wait to see pics of the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it... I'm going to link to it (of course, if you you hate that idea, email me)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really cute. I thought you bought it when I first saw the picture. You may have to fasten down the eyes better unless you don't plan on having the little guy try to eat it. But you know how babies are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, don't worry about the eyes... I glued the felt first, and then each layer is individually sewn on. They're not going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete