Sunday, April 15, 2012

I Dyed: Part 2

So for the rest of the story that my attention span was too short to cover earlier:

Since my back patio died, and I didn't feel like doing it out front and then explaining to my neighbors why their children are blue, I went to my Mom's. Also, she has a garden hose for rinsing.

Okay, so I mentioned that I used dye, but hopefully you realized that it would be below me to dye it all one color. I used wide masking tape to make a nifty little pattern.
Here's the other crazy thing about Rit: it can dye bathtubs. If I wasn't in a rental I would try it. Instead I used every burner on my mom's stove to boil water, and poured them all into a 5 gallon bucket.

I tried my best to evenly dump the bucket on the rug. Here's how that went:
Then it started raining so my mom and I drug it over by the side of the house (because I forgot that it would get really heavy when wet). I left it there for a month.

The next time I went over I came armed with 2 boxes of dye. Instead of dumping it from the bucket, I hand ladled it (which is why my hands turned blue). There were still white spots, so in the end I bought two more boxes, and this time I ladled the dye into my mom's spray bottle (love you mom!) for a nice, even coat. In the end I got it all covered, and ended up with a sore muscle in my wrist from prolonged repeated spritzing.

Time for step 2: second hand blanket + hot glue.

Lots of hot glue. Like 10 sticks of hot glue.
And here's the shocker the hot glue has held together for the past month. And the masking tape worked surprisingly well, although it would have been better if I hadn't pulled it off after coat 2 and tried to put it back on before coat 3.

*Moral of the Story*
Hot glue works BUT now that I know about Rit, it would have been about a million times easier to just buy an ugly floral rug at Goodwill and have at it. ALSO, in the end I used 5 boxes of dye, and the color would have been more consistent if I had done it all at once without letting it dry in between. ALSO, wear rubber gloves.


7 comments:

  1. Woa! That's a crazy story! I am not dedicated enough to finish that project... I think I would have quit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous! I am going to try one of these this summer, guess I'll get a spray bottle :) Never would have thought tape would work, I love that! Thanks for all the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the taped worked because all the dye sank straight down into the carpet. My guess is that it will work as long as the puddle your rug is sitting in doesn't get to deep!

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking....pour the hot water and the rit into one of those kids wading pool things and dunk that sucker in there. Or can you not do that? Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually thought about doing that! The rug is bigger than it looks though, something like 7'x5' and it doesn't fold easily. If you had a smaller rug though that would be much easier!

      Delete
  4. hello love your rug. Quick question how colour fast is this I have light carpet and I would like to dye my rug a darker colour would and cour come off the rug at all? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rit dye is pretty good stuff. I haven't seen any of the color rubbing off (and the backing that I used was white). I have also since used it to do a shirt for my son, and although it has faded a bit in the wash over the last year, but not bad and I haven't noticed the color getting on anything else. I think an important factor is to make sure your water is VERY hot for the initial dye.
      good luck!

      Delete