Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I Dyed

I'm finally ready to talk about the blue-hand episode. Not that it's taken me two months to get over it, it's just taken me that long to finish. Actually, I finished two weeks ago and wanted to wait to make sure it would hold up.

I'm pleased to announce it has, so here is the story -- If you've ever wondered why every picture I take of Wes is on a blanket, this is why:
Lovely brown carpet full of so much yuk, that I would prefer that his little hands--that will inevitably end up in his mouth--not touch it.

I had been on the lookout for a rug, but you know me, I'm such a control freak I have to do these things.

So one day I was at Goodwill and came across a ridiculously cheap large carpet remnant. I wondered to myself, "I wonder if there is a way to finish carpet edges." After googling it, I found this gem (but really, don't waste your time, I'll tell you all about it):

Nope, not from the 90's. It was posted on YouTube in 2008. I know, I watched the whole thing thinking it would be so bad that it's funny... but it was too bad even for that. The gist of it is, you use their special instabind edging that tacks to the carpet, and then you go around and attach it firmly with (get this) hot glue.

As soon as I heard that, I thought, "I'm no dummy. You just used piping with a sticky side to tack it. The real trick is the hot glue." With that, my mind was decided and I went back and bought the carpet.

The only thing that I was sad about was that it was so very plain. I turned to pinterest, and apparently crafters these days are into painting their rugs. Does that sound crunchy to you too?

I was lamenting to Cam and he made the mistake of wondering aloud if dye would work. I said, "maybe, but where would you get dye?" And thus Cameron accidentally introduced me to Rit dye, which I'm sure he already regrets. According to their website, you can even dye buttons. How awesome is that?

And this post just got too long. I'll finish it later, I promise.

3 comments:

  1. I seriously LOVE rit dye. It has been my life savor in a bunch of projects. I'll be happy to read the rest when it's posted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, what's Rit Dye, I feel stupid not-knowing...

      Delete
    2. www.ritdye.com
      It's a super cheap works on anything dye that's been around for over 100 years. I just learned that even our local grocery store carries it (by the shoe polish and cleaners)

      Delete