Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Upcoming Eclipse

Subtitle: If you live under a rock (like I do)...

Okay, so you probably all have heard about this, BUT since I don't have a TV and don't read a newspaper, I was shocked to hear about this yesterday.

Sunday there is going to be a solar eclipse. How cool is that? Cam and I researched eclipses a year or so ago because we both wanted to see one, and we read that the next total eclipse near us isn't until August 2017.

However, the one Sunday isn't a total eclipse, it's an "annular" eclipse, where instead of covering the sun completely, the moon looks like a black hole surrounded by a ring of fire, which sounds pretty cool to me.

I found timeanddate.com that lets you type in your city and it estimates the time and how good the eclipse will be for you (way better than the useless NASA page about it.) Here's what I got for Portland:

Apparently we would get the maximum ring of fire if we drove 5 hours south to Medford, Oregon. What do you think, is it worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment