Thursday, January 24, 2013

In which I detail my love/gripes about Pinterest

I like Pinterest. I do. I think it's an awesome place to find ideas for a project, or to search for inspiration in the middle of something.

But there are a couple things that bug me. A lot. And there's no place on Pinterest to gripe about such things, so I'm going to do it here.

First, can I just say that I hate the phrase (and accompanying acronym) "DIY." I know, I feel like I'm the only person that is bugged by this, and I have quite a few friends for whom "DIY" is the heart of Pinterest... but somewhere in my artist soul I feel like it cheapens whatever beautiful thing you just created. It's akin to saying, "I may have put lots of carefully honed artistic skill and creativity into this... but anyone else could have done it just as easily." I guess to be more accurate you could call it a "DIM" (Did It Myself) if you feel a need to label these things.

Second, everything is in fact not more awesome with chalkboard paint. General rule= if the text is never going to change, then chalkboard paint accomplishes nothing, for example:

  • Toothbrush holder - because someday you may want use it for milk?
  • Dinner plates and Mugs - Love that chalky taste?
  • Walls in children's rooms - Asthma much?
  • Plant Labels/Flowerpots - So that when you water/ it rains you can forget what was there?
  • Easter Eggs and Pumpkins- because they hang around so long you'll need to change their outfits?
The last group, I'm going to lump in a category all fitness and diet related posts that resemble, "How to be skinny!" "Skinny eating!" and "Someday I will be skinny!" It seriously makes me nervous when I see my friends (and their little sisters) posting these. It makes me want to shout, "I know you want to look good but PLEASE BE SMART AND KEEP YOUR GOALS REALISTIC!" 

So I'm doing that in the Pinterest way (with a catchy quote on a grey background). Credit goes to my OB who said it to correct her accidental use of the word "skinny" in reference to my small person's slight weight gain:

3 comments:

  1. I'm pinning that ^!

    That one about "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" or whatever? Yeah, I want to emulate a drug addicted model. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about "Healthy" is admirable, "Skinny is pathological"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you entirely. But I've also heard the word "healthy" to describe someone with curves, and I worry that would make it sound like being a thin person is bad, which it isn't if that's the way you naturally are.

      Delete