Between getting acquainted with Dawson and squeezing in hanging out with all of our Oregon friends, the last three months sped by. And another three months means that we've moved, again.
This time our move was to Colorado Springs, so rather than flying and taking just three suitcases, we opted to drive and just took what fit in the car. 20 hours. With a 2 1/2 year-old and an 8 week-old. The implications of course are that Wes isn't a fan of car trips, and we could only go a max of 2 1/2 hours before we need to stop so Dawson could eat.
We decided that it would be best to get everything packed up and moved out of or old house Wednesday, spend the night at my parents' so we would have the Thursday to focus on loading the car, getting trip food etc. Then we would leave Friday morning and take three days to get there, staying at my Dad's cousin's at the Idaho border the Friday night, and then at Cam's brother's in Utah Saturday night.
The first part at least went according to plan. Packed up, moved out, and got to my parents' house. After dinner we were sitting on the couch watching the news, and the weather man said that there was going to be a storm rolling in the next afternoon. We verified on several websites that there was a storm moving just fast enough that it would leave snow in the Blue Mountains just before we got there, make roads icy in Idaho, and dump snow in the pass through the Rockies as we headed through... assuming we made it that far.
So we made the stressful decision to leave the next morning rather than take a day to prepare. We stayed up late packing, called everyone to tell them we'd be a day early, and I got up early to get food. I got a call from my Dad's cousin that her kids had been throwing up all night. So we called a friend of Cam's near Boise and asked if we could stay...that night. We started loading the car up just to realize that Wesley's car seat was in my mom's car from the night before, and she had already gone to work. So I made that hour-long detour before we hit the road as the rain started.
Travel day 2 was the hardest for Wes. We woke up to clear skies and piled in the car as the clouds started to appear in the distance. After only an hour and a half, Wes hit a wall and we had to take the next exit which fortunately had a park. When we stopped there was no wind, but by the time we were leaving it had picked up quite a bit. Wes finally crashed while playing with Dawson's burp rags (we're good parents)
I need to take a quick second to give Dawson a shout-out for his exceptional traveling. We would stop, feed him, burp him, and stick him back in his seat. He would play for a few minutes and fall asleep and not wake up until the car stopped. I am grateful we got the baby we did.
That night we realized that we might not be able to outrun the storm any longer. We went to bed with the understanding that at 7 the next morning we would make the call to either break for it or have to wait it out. The next morning we found out that there would be "blizzard conditions and blinding snow" in the pass, so we finally got that rest day that we all needed, and Wes got a tour of our Alma Mater (can you tell he likes that sweatsuit?)