Sunday, February 2, 2014

Fair Weather Fans

I realized after titling this post that people may be confused and think I'm referring to a certain big game today. I'm not. But while I'm thinking about it I just want to get on the record beforehand that our move this month from Colorado to Seattle has nothing whatsoever to do with how this thing goes down.

Now to my story:

In the spirit of adventure and checking out cool things here in Colorado we took a little excursion to Dinosaur Ridge near Lakewood CO. Wes has been into dinosaurs lately thanks to a book he got for Christmas from his great-grandma.

So I guess the story is that they were blasting this ridge to make a highway and discovered fields of dinosaur tracks and some bones. Now the highway is closed to the traffic so you can walk up the ridge.

It was a sunnyish and not to chilly day when we left home, but by the time we got to the ridge it was quite windy. Daws, who had slept in the car all the way there, quickly assessed the situation and decided to do what he does whenever he is chilly/hungry/mildly perturbed and went to sleep. Wes thought the dinosaur statue at the entrance was cool, but failed to grasp the coolness of seeing the ripple patterns in the rocks that showed the area used to be underwater, and I think was altogether disappointed not to see any real dinosaurs. 

About half the way up the ridge he was a little chilly and quite wind-blown and said something that I've never heard out of his mouth before, "I want to go home and take a nap in my bed." So we drug him up the ridge backwards in his stroller so the wind wasn't in his face, and tucked Dawson's extra blanket around him.


The bones were pretty cool, but I don't think I would have picked them out without the help of not-so-subtle signs. Do you think you could have?

On the way back down Wes gave up... pretty much on life. So Cam tipped the stroller on it's back wheels and put his hat down over his face and Wes fell asleep. So after both our boys gave up on our adventure Cam and I had a nice look at the cool geological features. 

So this last weekend was much sunnier, but we didn't want to go somewhere just to have our fair weather fans give up on us again. We decided to stay close to home and go on a hike around the base. Our building is the very last outcropping of civilization up on the side of the mountain, so we just took off the other direction. 

We have a lot of wildlife out here, so we would follow the service trail for awhile and then wander off following animal tracks left in the dirt and snow, or to check out cool things we could see off the trail. 


Cam packed up a backpack of water bottles and spare warm things just in case. Wes saw it and packed up his own backpack of fruit snacks, granola bars, and cookies. 


We were hiking along Wes stopped and pointed to a rock and said, "Oh. This looks like a good spot for lunch." And so we sat down to enjoy the snack he packed. After we finished the snacks he pulled out his little toy sheep that he packed as well and said, "Oh. Time to play with this toy." I promise he's never had a Happy Meal, so I'm not sure where this idea came from, but it was hilarious nonetheless.


Even Daws had a good time. He stayed awake facing out for the whole first hour. Then he wanted to turn around and go to sleep... like he always does. I've started calling him my little bear for his hibernating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment